Crested Butte is located in southwest Colorado, within the Gunnison National Forest and the Elk Mountain Range of the Colorado Rocky Mountains. The resort lies in the town of Mt. Crested Butte, three miles from the town of Crested Butte, one of Colorado’s largest National Historic Districts, originally settled in the 1880s as a mining supply camp.
Distance from Major Centers
- Gunnison: 30 miles/ 48 km north
- Denver: 230 miles/ 368 km southwest
- Montrose: 90 miles/ 144 km northeast
- Colorado Springs: 197 miles/ 315 km west
- Aspen: 17 air miles/ 27 km (and one very big mountain range) from Aspen. Two and ½ hour drive in the summer, approximately four to five hour drive in the winter. (Kebler Pass is closed during winter months). 6-8 hours if you hike over.